Services in Käsivarsi Wilderness Area
Customer Service and Guidance
Services offered by enterprises and other organisations
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Cafés, Restaurants and Shops
Campfire Sites, Turf Huts, Wilderness Huts and Cooking Shelters
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
Open Wilderness Huts (owh) and Reservable Wilderness Huts (rwh)
The hut is on the north shore of the River Kuonjarjoki, south of the Kahperusvaara Hills peaks, in a valley between the Kahperusvaara Hills and Guonjarvárri Fell. One part of the building is an open wilderness hut and at the other end there is a reservable wilderness hut.
- Halti owh/rwh
- The hut is on the north shore of the lake, which is on the south side of Halti Fell.
- Kopmajoki owh
- The hut is west of Seitalompolo on the shore of the River Kopmajoki.
- Lossujärvi owh
- The hut is near the Norwegian border on the shore of Lake Lossujärvi to the south of Urtasvaara Hill.
- Jogasjärvi owh
- The hut is to the west of Lake Porojärvi on the shore of Lake Jogasjärvi. There is a rental hut next to the hut.
- Porojärvi owh
- The hut is on the southeastern shore of Lake Porojärvi at the mouth of the River Poroeno.
- Taapmajärvi owh
- The hut is at the head waters of the River Harrijoki, between Lakes Harrijärvi and Taapmajärvi.
- Termisjärvi owh/rwh
- The hut is on the north shore of Lake Termisjärvi on the west side of the stream which flows out of Salmikuru Ravine. One part of the building is an open wilderness hut and at the other end there is a reservable wilderness hut.
- Ailakkajärvi owh
- The hut is 1 km southeast of the northern tip of Lake Ailakkajärvi. It is on the shore of the lake. Lake Ailakkajärvi is located about 5,5 km east of Lake Ala-Kilpisjärvi.
- Tenomuotka owh
- The hut is on the western bank of the River Poroeno, about 1,5 km northeast of Karravaara Hill.
- Puuvrasjoki owh
- The hut is on the bank of the River Purasjoki, 18 km east of the south tip of Lake Ala-Kilpisjärvi. It is about 700 m from where the river branches out, and on the east bank of the western branch.
- Kaskasjoki owh
- The hut is on the south bank of the River Kaskasjoki, which flows into the River Toriseno. It is about 2 km in the direction of the lower course on an isthmus between the River Kaskasjoki and a pond.
- Hirvasvuopio owh
- The hut is on the west bank of the River Lätäseno at Hirvasvuopio. It is near the snowmobile track leading to Kilpisjärvi.
- Ropi owh
- The hut is on the east bank of the River Ropijoki, which flows into Lake Ropijärvi. It is by the reindeer round-up site.
- Kutukoski owh
- The hut is northwest of Kalkkoivi at the northern tip of Lake Ylimmäinen Vuontisjärvi.
- Kalkkoivi owh
- At the end of a road called Saksalaisten tie, ”the Germans’ Road” on the south side of the Kalkkojärvet Lakes.
- Aatsa owh
- The hut is on the southeastern shore of a pond in the west branch of the River Aatsajoki. The River Aatsajoki flows from Tarju Fell down into the River Könkämäeno.
- Rental huts differ from wilderness huts in that you can rent an entire cabin for you and your group. Reservations can be made by calling to Fell Lapland Nature Centre.
- Jogasjärvi Rental Hut is located on the shore of Lake Jogasjärvi west of Lake Porojärvi.
- Porojärvi Rental Hut is located on the southeastern shore of Lake Porojärvi, in the mouth of the River Poroeno
- Hirvasvuopio Rental Hut is located on the western shore of the River Lätäseno, about 450 metres from Hirvasvuopio Open Wilderness Hut.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- Holiday Cottages
- Private tourist enterprises rent holiday cottages in the Kilpisjärvi area.
- Camping Grounds
- There are camping grounds at Ropinsalmi and Kilpisjärvi.
- Services for Caravan Tourists
- Private tourist enterprises have parking areas with electrical supply for caravans.
- There is one hotel in the village of Kilpisjärvi.
- Private tourist enterprises in Kilpisjärvi have saunas for public use.
- More information can be found on the Enontekiö website (www.enontekio.fi) and on the Lapland tourism website (www.laplandfinland.com).
- Private tourist enterprises in Kilpisjärvi rent boats and hiking equipment. More information can be found on the Kilpisjärvi website (www.kilpisjarvi.org).
Services for the Disabled
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The closest banks, ATMs, medical centres and pharmacies are in the village of Hetta, the municipal centre of Enontekiö, and in village of Muonio.
- There is a medical centre in Karesuvanto.
- Kilpisjärvi village has a fuel distribution point, a shop, transportation services (taxi, boat and plane transportation), a permit sale point and post office services.
- More information can be found on the Enontekiö website (www.enontekio.fi).
- Versatile information on Lapland and tourist services in the area can be found on the Lapland tourism website (www.laplandfinland.com).
© Metsähallitus 2013