Customer Service and Guidance
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the National Park
Meals, where to buy and prepare
- There is a kiosk at Kankimäki parking area (Helvetinkoluntie 775), tel.int. +358 3 476 6104, which sells coffee, snacks, ice cream and maps. Also WLAN connection.
- Opening hours in 2012:
- Detailed opening hours will be announced later.
Campfire Sites, Cooking Shelters and Day Trip Hut
- Heinälahti: Campfire site
- Haukanhieta: 2 Campfire sites and cooking shelter,
- Iso Ruokejärvi: Campfire site
- Helvetinkolu: Campfire site and day trip hut, where wooden stove and fireplace,
- Luomajärvi: Campfire site,
- Luomanlahti: cooking shelter,
- Ruokejärvet: Campfire site and
- Valkoinen: Campfire site.
Please note that lighting campfire is not allowed if the forest fire warning is in effect.
- There is a new well at Haukanhieta. The water has been tested and suitable for drinking.
- There is a well at Ruokkeenharju. The water has been tested and suitable for drinking.
- Surface water, such as water from lakes, rivers and brooks should be boiled before drinking, because the quality of the water varies in different areas.
In the area there are no waste-bins. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Of the waste that accumulates during your trip, you can use campfire sites to burn those articles which can safely be burnt, and leave biodegradable waste in the dry toilets. Take all other waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking without Littering.
In the National Park there are dry toilets at each campfire site and camping site. Also the kiosk at Kankimäki has a dry toilet.
In Helvetinjärvi National Park there are six free camping sites with campfire site, firewood shelter, axe, and dry toilet. The camping sites are located at
- Iso Ruokejärvi,
- Ruokejärvi and
In Helvetinjärvi National Park there are no lean-to shelters.
Caravans and Camper Vans
Staying overnight in a caravans or camper vans is allowed at Haukanhieta parking area. There are no special services for visitors with caravans.
Hiedan maja´s cabin in the National Park can be rented from the beginning of May until the end of November by groups day visiting the park.
Information and reservations Seitseminen Visitor Centre tel.int. +358 205 64 5270.
Lodging in the Surrounding Areas
Information on lodging in the surrounding areas can be found at Seitseminen Visitor Centre or the municipality of Ruovesi (www.ruovesi.fi) and the town of Ylöjärvi (www.ylojarvi.fi).
Services for Disabled
The National Park landscape is quite demanding, due to differences in altitude. Only at Haukanhieta the surroundings are accessible by wheelchair, but it is recommended wheelchair users have an assistant. There is no special toilet for disabled in the National Park.
Other Services in the Surrounding Areas
- In the municipality centre of Ruovesi, about 20 km from Helvetinkolu, and in Kuru, about 25 km from Haukanhieta, there are all basic services.
- Nearest place to get fuel is Ruovesi.
- Information on canoe and boat rental in the surrounding areas can be found in Seitseminen Visitor Centre, tel.int. +358 205 64 5270.