Hautajärvi Visitor Centre offers information on Oulanka National Park, Karhunkierros Trail, the history of the area and the special features of northern mire ecosystems. You can also get information about hiking, services in the area and Metsähallitus.
What's New in Oulanka
There is no entrance fee to the Visitor Centre. Groups should inform us of their arrival in advance. We charge for guided group tours.
The Visitor Centre is located in the village of Hautajärvi, along the road 950 (Käylä - Salla), 45 km south of Salla, 30 km north of Käylä, and 75 km north of Kuusamo.
- Visitors can get to different spots (Ruka, Juuma, Kiutaköngäs, Sallantie parking place and Hautajärvi) along the Karhunkierros route by the Karhunkierros coach between Kuusamo and Salla. In the summer the coach travels on weekdays, and during fall and winter it functions also as a school coach.
- Airport bus from all scheduled flights in Kuusamo airport to Ruka and Salla. Service also for others than flight passengers.
- More information from By Public Transportation in Oulanka.
- Timetable search for coaches (www.matkahuolto.fi)
- The closest airports are in Kuusamo (75 km), Rovaniemi (185 km) and Oulu (290 km). The closest railway stations (www.vr.fi) in Kemijärvi (100 km) and Oulu (290 km).
- Information on Oulanka and Riisitunturi National Parks and other nature reserves in the surrounding areas.
- Information and tips on hiking Karhunkierros Trail and UKK Trail or for example to the Giant’s Kettles at Kalliovaara Hill.
- Permanent exhibition Finland - Fenland introduces visitors with the peatlands and their special features and with local history, especially meadow culture. Also temporary exhibitions.
- Brochures, maps and guidance material for destinations in the surrounding areas.
- Fishing permits for Oulanka National Park and the surrounding areas
- Oulanka National Park theme products
- Videos about different natural features, electronic infopoint Patikkapaikka, reference library, children’s play corner.
- Co-operating enterprises offer hiring services and guided tours in National Park and nearby.
- Tourism Services in the surrounding areas:
- closest accommodation in Hautajärvi and Urriaapa villages and in Ruva-aho.
- Sallatunturi (32 km), Ruka (47 km) and Suomutunturi (53km) areas offer many accommodation and activity services.
- More information from Salla Tourism (www.salla.fi), Kuusamo Info (www.ruka.fi) and Kemijärvi (www.visitkemijarvi.fi)
- Local weather forecast for Hautajärvi (www.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi)
We arrange a variety of events and exhibitions.
Services for the Disabled
- The Visitor Centre and exhibitions are accessible by wheelchair, and there is a toilet for the disabled. The parking area is about 20 m away from the building.
- There is room for 15 wheelchairs in the presentation room by special arrangement.
- There is room for about 40 wheelchails in the café by special arrangement.
Read more about our Customer Service Quarantee.
This is the page www.outdoors.fi/hautajarvi