Pallastunturi Visitor Centre provides information on fells and introduces visitors to the unique and beautiful scenery of Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park.
There is no entrance fee for exhibitions. The AV presentations shown are also free of charge.
By Public Transportation
- A coach (www.matkahuolto.fi) which takes the post travels from Muonio to Pallastunturi on weekday mornings.
- The closest airports (www.finavia.fi) are in Kittilä and Enontekiö. During the tourist season a taxi-service transports visitors from the Enontekiö airport to the area’s larger villages and tourist resorts.
- From Kittilä
- Via Jerisjärvi
Take road 79 going to Muonio for 48 km and turn right to Jerisjäris before the village of Rauhala. Drive 10 km along road 9572. Turn right at the Jerisjärvi intersection and drive 7 km along road 957. Then turn left onto the road which leads to Pallastunturi and continue 6 km to your destination.
- Via Tepasto
Take road 79 going to Sirkka for 20 km. Turn right in Sikka onto road 956 towards Tepasto. From Tepasto take road 9562 towards Enontekiö for 30 km. At the village of Raattama turn left onto road 957. Drive 19 km and turn right onto the road which leads to Pallastunturi and continue 6 km to your destination.
- From Kolari
- Via Äkäslompolo
Take road 21 for 8 km and turn right onto road 940. Drive 59 km through Äkäslompolo to Muotkavaara. Then turn left and drive 10 km to Särkijärvi along road 79. From there turn right onto road 957. Drive 14 km and turn left onto the road which leads to Pallastunturi and continue 6 km to your destination.
- Via Muonio
Drive 78 km along road E8 and turn right onto road 79. Drive 12 km to Särkijärvi and turn left onto road 957. Drive 14 km and turn left onto the road which leads to Pallastunturi and continue 6 km to your destination.
- From Enontekiö via Raattama
- Take road 956 for 30 km to Peltovuoma and continue from there for 35 km on road 957 to Raattama. Then turn and drive 19 km. Turn right again onto the road which leads to Pallastunturi and continue 6 km to your destination.
- Information on Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park hiking possibilities and nature, local culture and the area’s services.
- Reservations and keys for Hetta-Pallas Trail reservable wilderness huts and Lake Kemiöjärvi rental hut.
- Fishing permits for Lake Pallasjärvi.
- We sell maps of the surrounding area, postcards, stamps, nature and hiking books, local handicrafts and berry products.
- Information on services in Enontekiö (www.enontekio.fi), Kittilä (www.kittila.fi) and Muonio (www.muonio.fi).
- Groups are given a brief introductory tour of the exhibition free-of-charge.
Pallastunturi Visitor Centre has changing exhibitions, nature evenings during the tourist season and other varying events year-round.
The Visitor Centre’s permanent exhibition features the geological birth of the Pallas-Ounastunturi region and the changes in flora and fauna from the forest to the brook bank and on to the mountain birch zone and further to treeless mountain heath. Along with these changes visitors experience the changing of the seasons.Displayed are rare flora and fauna, which are typical in this National Park. They are displayed in their natural size and environment and in what ways each species has learned to cope in these harsh conditions. The exhibition texts are in Finnish, Swedish, English, German, French, Italian and Russian.
Auditorium and AV Presentations
- The auditorium seats 40 people and has AV equipment.
- Visitors may view our films and slide shows on request and free of charge.
- Groups should reserve showings in advance.
- The auditorium can be rented for conferences and teaching.
The Visitor Centre’s reading corner has a versatile collection of books and magazines on Northern nature, hiking and local history. There are also books, games and drawing books for children.
Services Close to the Visitor Centre
- Vatikuru Nature Trail (2,5 km) and Nature Ski Trail (3 km).
- The closest campfire site and camping site are 800 metres from the Visitor Centre.
- Pallaskota, a reservation campfire site 800 metres from the Visitor Centre.
Cafe and Restaurant Services
- The Visitor Centre does not have a cafe or a restaurant.
- The Pallas Hotel is located in the vicinity of the Visitor Centre.
Services for the Disabled
- The Visitor Centre’s exhibition space and auditorium are accessible by wheelchair.
- There is a toilet for the disabled in the building.
- From the Visitor Centre, the disabled can get to the old hotel’s ruins 1-kilometre away, if assisted.
Read more about our service guarantee.
This is the web page www.outdoors.fi/pallastunturi.